To The Ends of the Earth?

Well, if I can manage to do LEJoG, then you can do it too.

Get on your bike and do it, its a great experience and well worth doing.

Next summer anyone?

It Was Well earned
GPS tracking powered by InstaMapper.com

Wednesday 13 May 2009

Where the Streets Have No Name

Day 5

A day that promised lots of company - well my parents and my father as a riding companion and my mother as support driver, as I rode from Whitchurch north through the Liverpool/ Manchester conurbation. It was appropriate that the route was to be via Wigan- more on that later.

We left Whitchurch before 0830 and as we headed out of town we passed a MacDonald's hotel. (No, not run by Ronald). Jo will know what I mean- especially after our efforts to find good accommodation the night before.

A brisk ride up the A49 brought us to the first drink stop at Tarporley. A cuppa and a scone and plotting the next meeting point. My mother was driving along and meeting us regularly for drinks and snacks. (A real labour of love for a mother who has no interest in cycling- thanks mum.)

The next meeting point was to @ Wilderspool in Warrington. It would be an easy place to find as there is a big rugby stadium there, home of Warrington Wolves. A text from my mother was received saying that she could not find the rugby ground, but had found a Morrison's supermarket for my dad (he loves their cafe). Upon leaving this stop, I realised why my mother could not find the rugby ground - it had been demolished some years ago and a new ground built elsewhere. I think the supermarket was on the site of the old ground.

Next stop was to be Standish. This was to be a 20 mile ride to lunch break. This was where the fun started.

THE ROAD TO WIGAN PIER
Standish is a couple of miles north of Wigan, so we would ride through Wigan and the famous Pier. When we got north of Warrington, there is a big roundabout where the motorway, the A49 and the A580 all come together. We needed to head up the A49, so I took that route, my mother went on the motorway and my dad went another way (or so he says!) I should mention that my dad doesn't like riding in the rain, and the rain was falling heavily now.

I tried to ring/ text both of them, but couldn't make contact, so headed up towards Wigan and Standish. I arrived in Wigan alone and stopped at the Pier and took the obligatory photo. I appeared to be the only one of the three who knew the road to Wigan Pier.

KEEP THE ASPIDISTRA FLYING
I road on from Wigan heading to Standish, but my GPS took me away from Standish to Chorley and the A6 road. I blame it on their being no street names at the roundabout near Standish. I then got texts from my mother to say my dad had eventually found Standish and was travelling by car with her having bailed out of riding. I do wonder where he bailed out at - Warrington or Standish?

I still had 30 miles to ride in a gale and pouring rain. I had not yet had any lunch. It took me until north of Preston to eventually meet my parents. I had by then done 60+ miles. The old man couldn't be persuaded to return to riding the last 18 or so miles to Lancaster. So it was left to me to keep the aspidistra flying!

(19) 84?
I rode the last 18 miles to Lancaster at a cracking pace. Arriving at my cousin's home only an hour after setting off from Broughton - some 18miles away. I was pleased with being able to ride that fast despite having done so many miles today. The total distance today should have been 84 miles, but sadly I ended up doing an extra little bit.

ANIMAL FARM?
Who mentioned my family?

Today's Data
85.9 miles ridden
6 hours - time taken
Average speed 14.3 mph

4469 feet ascended

Only 3 sleeps now till Jo joins me and my parent's depart. I can't wait for that. [Editor's comment - wait for what?]

2 comments:

  1. I always was told you were the favoured child by Grandad (note: feels a hard slap coming his way)

    I'll give you a ring later on :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's one for tomorrow

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VIH11m6QGk

    Pete, you're doing great, all that headwind and no mechanicals? Joe humphed at your average speeds, I am staggered!

    Gretna and Jo joins you? Is there something you haven't let on?

    ReplyDelete